This is a recipe that we as a family put together after a night of watching “Unique Sweets.” It’s amazing how you can limit your thoughts on things until you get inspired to “think out of the box.” So, here is the first of many recipes that myself and my daughters are starting to put together, “Easy Salted Caramel Rice Krispies Treats.” Since this is my recipe, I am giving it an “awesome” for taste and “easy” for preparation and baking time.
1 bag of Kraft Caramel Squares (14 oz)
3 tablespoons of water
3 tablespoons of butter
1 package of miniature marshmallows
6 cups of Rice Krispies
1 can of your favorite frosting or you can make your own
Some Sea Salt to sprinkle on top
Cooking utensils you will need:
1 large sauce pan
1 large cook sheet pan or 13 x 9 x 2 pan, greased with butter to prevent sticking or you can line your pan with parchment paper but I find that it’s harder to spread the Rice Krispies. Just a warning, if you decide to use parchment paper.
1 spatula, the bigger the better to scrap as much gooey goodness from the sides of your pan.
- Unwrap all the caramel squares and place them aside
- In a large sauce pan, on medium-low heat, put in the water and then the caramel squares. Stir constantly until all the squares are completely melted.
- Add in the butter and stir until all the butter gets incorporated into the caramel.
- Stir in the package of marshmallows until they’re melted into the caramel, adding to the wonderful gooey goodness. Remove from heat.
- Add in the Rice Krispies and stir until all the Rice Krispies gets coated with the caramel marshmallow gooey goodness.
- Using buttered spatula or your buttered hand evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Cool.
- Once cooled put a layer of chocolate frosting on top of your Rice Krispies treats before cutting and then sprinkle as much or as little Sea Salt as you want on top of the chocolate frosting. Let the frosting set, this will make cutting the Rice Krispies treats easier for you.
- Cut into 2-inch squares and enjoy!
We found that they were really good that same day but they got even better the next day because the flavors seemed to meld together overnight. Oh, and another side note is…these Krispie treats won’t harden over the next few days, they seem to stay chewy and gooey and YUMMY!