This recipe is one of my own. My family loves it and it’s so easy!
Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry
1/4 cup whole unsalted cashews
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt To Taste
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3-5 squares of Golden Curry (Golden Curry comes in mild, medium and hot. It’s up to you how hot you want your curry)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 package of frozen peas
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
How to make slow cook coconut chicken curry:
- Pour coconut milk and 3 to 5 squares of the Golden Curry into the crock pot or slow cooker. If this is your first time making this recipe, start with 3 squares first and then add more later if it’s not enough. Our family likes a lot of curry flavor so I put in the entire package of Golden Curry about 5 squares. Put it on high while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. This allows the Golden Curry squares to heat up and dissolve.
- Cut up your chicken into large bite size strips or cubes and set aside.
- Heat in a sauté pan the 2 tbsp of vegetable oil, add the sliced onion, ginger and garlic, and cook until the onion softens, about 10 minutes; if the mixture seems dry, add up to 1/4 cup of water to prevent sticking. Let sit while you check on your coconut curry sauce.
- Check your coconut curry sauce in the crock pot or slow cooker. Use a spoon or fork to break up any curry squares that are still holding together. Stir it all together. Don’t worry about small clumps because they will dissolve with cooking time. This is when you can add more flavor if needed. If you add another square or two, since the liquid is hot, it should dissolve quicker and be easier to break up the square of curry goodness. Once you are satisfied with the amount of curry in the sauce.
- Add in chicken, the 1/2 package of frozen peas and all the rest of your ingredients that you just sautéed into the crock pot or slow cooker. Mix it all into the coconut curry sauce.
- Turn down the heat of your crock pot or slow cooker and let cook for at least 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Before it’s ready to serve:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the cashews in cookie sheet or pie plate and bake for 5 minutes, or until fragrant and lightly toasted. Let cool.
- Chop up some sprigs of cilantro.
- Transfer the coconut chicken curry to a bowl, sprinkle with the cilantro and cashews and serve.
I hope your family will love it! It’s also great for potlucks!